Friday, January 29, 2010

Beautiful Bowen Island

This little rock just off the coast of West Vancouver, British Columbia, is where I grew up. We moved from Bowen Island to Port Moody when I was twelve, and I knew that one day I would return to raise my own family. That is exactly what happened in May 2004. I commuted every day with my husband, and our dog, to Vancouver. This is how we met our core group of friends; our fellow commuters.
Evenings in the summers over here are lovely. The ocean has been warming up throughout the day to allow us evening swims up until 9:30 at night. Summer bed times are stretched a tad to allow us all to cool off before heading home.
Being a stay at home Mom on an island is fantastic (most of the time). Logan and I spend our days at the beach, going on nature walks, playing with friends and constantly discovering new little 'nooks' on our island.
The foliage on this island is lush for most of the year. This year in particular has been incredibly mild. My tulips and daffodils are already 8" high and my crocuses are in full bloom! The rain forest provides us with many amazing species of ferns, mosses, wild violets that cover the earth's floor in a kaleidescope of green. As well, there are several lakes, salmon bearing streams a fish hatchery, a lagoon and so many more beautiful places tucked into this hidden gem.
I haven't even touched on all the amazing restaurants , art galleries, shops, plays, festivals - that will have to wait for another post. This was just a sampling of the rock that I am proud to call my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment